Sunday 3 March 2013

Rock Giant

This is a homework piece. The focus was to create a rock creature but to use very desaturated colours and one main colour to draw the viewers eye.

I decided to create a rock giant. By posing in the mirror I started a very loose painting.


From here I continued posing and improving on my painting.


I was not very happy with the head design so I decided to refine it and make it more like a statue than a dumb giant.


I spent a lot of time just improving the my values as I went, continually trying new things on different layers.


Once I was at this stage I knew I had to leave the painting as it was and start adding in a rock texture.


This instantly improved my painting and gave it a realistic look. I was however behind on time and fell back on the smoke effect to cover areas that I could not quite get right.
However I believe the smoke lends itself to the painting quite well.


Keeping in mind of using very desaturated colours I added a simple green to give the giantan old mossy look while using a bright blue glow for the eyes which draws the viewer towards the face.


As I was painting this I kept in mind of what parts I wanted the viewer to focus on. This was the hand and the face, this is why these are the most detailed parts. 






No comments:

Post a Comment