Friday 29 November 2013

Christmas Card

Class project for creating a christmas card. The limitations were that we had to design the card to incorporate the red and white santa outfit in some way.

I had a huge difficulty getting an idea that I liked for this project.
Steampunk Santa
Robot Santa
Samurai Santa

Here is my mood board. I found dwarves helped me a lot with the beard and face design.


I did try and start with a robot santa which would turn into a paintover, although I found I began to just completely copy one of the images on my mood board and I was not sure if I liked the idea.





Eventually I settled for a simple painting of Santa handing out a painting, he looks slightly grumpy as he was meant to be slightly singed from coming out of a lit fireplace that someone forgot to turn off, but this idea died due to lack of time.


Sketched design


I started by using the lassoo and fill method like I did in my surreal project, but I soon found that this would not work due to the amount of details I wanted, this method proved too messy and untidy,


Here I settled for just painting values


Added some textures to the image to give it some detail very quickly as at this stage I was running very low on time.

Finished off with framing santa and because of the foreshortened hand It made sense to have it coming out of the frame





Keeping in mind that this is a christma card I tried to add some very simply Christmas details.

I found this assignment very difficult due to having such a hard time to get an idea that I liked. I did not like the idea I settled on but I knew it was a safe bet and it meant I could just get started. 

Painting values is still difficult for me, mostly because I do not practice it often enough, but I believe I was able to make convincing values on different materials.

I am unsure of the composition of my image, becase when I sketched the design I thought that A6 was much more box shaped and assumed my design would sit better in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment