Thursday 24 October 2013

Sci Fi Ship Paintover

The assignment was set for two weeks in which we had to design a Sci Fi ship of our own choosing. 

The idea for my ship was that it is going to be a high end commercial vehicle for one or two passengers. The way it would work is that is uses electromagnetic fields to repel and attack on its surroundings. This works because the planet this vehicle is on is one giant city, so there is always a skyscraper for it to cling on and slingshot along.

First step, research.

I began by researching bluprint designs as this is what I wanted to do for my designs.


I knew that I wanted to follow the style of a commercial vehicle so I searched concept cars and bikes.


I then searched for concept designs of sci fi ships, mostly futuristic bikes as that is what I was leaning towards doing.


I decided to do flat silhouette designs. However I spent a lot of time making it look 'pretty' and made my designs not look clear at all. I try to counter this by adding in the shades to show the different levels but overall I believe these designs to have failed.


Trying to make some more sense of my design I picked my chosen design and label it.


I felt confident enough to begin 3D modelling my design.


Step 1


Step 2


Step 3






I made my model very efficiently so that it can be continued with and used as it is in a game engine. I am very pleased with how the model turned out and felt very confident going into my paintover.

The next few images are of failed paintovers that I first attempted. I was not happy with the composition or lighting on either of them. The side view was meant to give me a general idea of what I was doing. None of them are finished.




In Max I set the scene using Omni lights on the bike to give and a skylight for the background.


I started my paintover by getting so base colours down, I then added some mesh textures to the darker areas and a windscreen.


Continuing with refining the paintover, adding more textures and the extra added writing on the side which I felt played on the commercial vehicle side of things.


I then got to work on the background, I rendered this out from Max with a flat plane and extruding different areas. I then added a panel texture


Finally I created a mood for the painting, using photofilters to give the whole scene an orange glow from the windows. 

The window texture was added in last in an attempt to make it look more like a city scape however it is very simple and I feel I could have done much more to it.



Overall I am very happy with this paintover, I feel that I have learned a lot about my workflow and where I need to improve on.
Next time I do designs I will probably sketch them in pencil first and then try and do a 3 quarter view so that the design is clear to anyone.


A little bit of feedback from my peers and I have changed up some slight things such as adding a reflective light on the top half of the ship and dulling down the orange and making it appear that it is a glow from street level and the blue is from the sky.


I had some spare time and decided that there needed to be something in the top right hand corner. This is not a serious attempt but an idea of how I could have filled this space.






No comments:

Post a Comment