Monday 22 April 2013

Characters

This task was set to get correct body proportions on different sized characters, these being an Elf, Human and Dwarf.

I started by planning out how tall each character would be by using heads and lines to show how tall they should be.


I then created a simple sketch design for the pose and armour of the characters at the correct height. This took me several attempts to get the anatomy correct to match with the head system. 


Once I was happy with the designs and the size of each character I painted in some simple values.


Once I had an idea of how my characters were shaping I began to paint in detail and using the levels tool to bring out my characters. This however took me an extremely long time, in particular the faces. I had to research facial structure and look at many references to build a convincing character face as I wanted each of them to have some kind of personality. I believe I achieved this but only barely.


The next step was to add fine detail such as adding textures to the armour, colour and a background to make them all look as if they are standing. The cast shadows were created by making a selection over the values layer and filling it in black, then distorting it until i lay flat and stretched out behind the character.




I am very pleased with how these paintings turned out. They however did take me an extremely long time, I had even left them for a month without touching them because I had spent so much time obsessing over details I was not getting anywhere.

The textures definitely give a difference to the armour and cloth sections of the costume designs.

I feel that the colour has taken some away from the painting such as the faces no longer seem as clear as they were black and white.

I would improve this next time by painting a single character at once so I can focus on them rather than trying to paint them all at the same time. 
I would spend some more time on the design stage so that when I came to painting values I would know exactly what I was doing and I would keep in mind how light would reflect off of different textures.













No comments:

Post a Comment