Wednesday 5 December 2012

Steampunk Frog

Our task was to design a frog in a steam punk style. I decided to create a anthropomorphic character. I had the idea early on to create a cartoon character that had some kind of clockwork/steam powered apparel.

I have named him Krell and he is a scavenger that takes pieces of clockwork and metal to create his own gadgets. The most noticeable being his robotic arm that helps him shift through piles of heavy junk.  

I prefer to design my drawings on paper with pencil and then use a pen to outline it for an easy scan.

Using the multiple layer option I quickly paint a base colour to give myself an idea of how to the paint over.
Next I use the lasso tool to select parts and fill in black, then reducing the layer opacity I have some very quick shadows applied to the drawing.
I now paint over the original sketch to bring the shapes and textures out.
Using the levels adjustment layer and changing the image to black and white I can check that my values are working and adjust accordingly.

Finally I make several adjustments to the drawing such as reshaping the face with the transform warp tool to make it more rounded, adding a gradient layer for a background and then using a combination of different brush types I create steam finding its way out of the clockwork arm.

There are a few things that I am not happy about with the drawing such as the goggles, detail on the trousers and the mouth. I may try to fix them at a later date but I was starting to spend too long on this drawing and decided to finish up.



No comments:

Post a Comment