Monday 17 December 2012

3ds max Tutorial 2- Helmet

In this tutorial I create a helmet using the Graphite Modeling Tools Ribbon.

(I am using the tutorial screenshots as I did not take any screenshots of my own while modeling.)

Starting with a cube I used the Spherify modifier, this is because a Sphere shape has triangular polygons at the top and bottom which may complicate modeling at a later stage.
I also moved the pivot point via the hierachy and selecting center to object so when I manipulate the object it will move it from the center. 

Selecting one half of the sphere via the vertices and deleting them to get a basic helmet shape.

In the Graphite Modeling Tools tab I selected vertex and soft selection so that when I pulled the very top vertices upwards it would affect almost all of the shape giving it a smooth cone shape.

Next I deleted half of the shape again and added a symmetry modifier so whatever I model next will be exactly the same on both sides.
Using the edge selection and connect edges tool I create a new edge around the top and bottom of the helmet so I can create a rim.

Using the Extrude I create a basic rim around the helmet giving it some detail.

Moving to the front wire frame pane I select vertex again and align the edges of the rim along both the bottom and the top, this is so when I use NURMS the edges are not smoothed too much.
(NURMS is a tool that creates more polygons to an object to smooth it out)

Now selecting the vertices again and moving them to a almost circular shape I can begin to extrude and bevel
the object for the horns.

To create the horns I used the extrude on spline tool which allows me to draw a spline line and then extrude from my object along the spline. Adjusting the taper I change the horns from being like thick branches to horns.




Here is my finished helmet. I added some quick textures to it however I could not apply UV Maps for some reason. 
To achieved the extra spikes on the top rim of the helmet I used the branches tool found in the free form tab.








No comments:

Post a Comment